All decisions at the regional, continental or international levels are processed through various levels of deliberations. All reports of experts including their and recommendations from all organs of the African Union (AU) and the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) forwarded to the Heads of State and Government through a three level summitry that includes the the Committee of Ambassadors, comprised of permanent Representatives of AU and UNECA; and/or the Ministers responsible for specific portfolios, then the Council of Ministers, comprising of the Ministers for Foreign Affairs who in turn process and forward the issues and proposed recommendations to the Heads of State and Government for decision.
In the African Union, these three-level decision making processes are referred to as the Permanent Representatives Committee (PRC), the Executive Council and the Assembly and constitute three (3) of the ten (10) organs of the Union. The Peace and Security Council (PSC) of the AU may also convene meetings at the level of Heads of State and Government. At each level and on depending on the subject, the organ may establish ad hoc or permanent Sub-Committees.
Where the two organizations – the AU and IGAD have established partnerships with other continents or countries, the decision-making process is basically similar with the annotation being varied according to the nature of the partnership.
Kenya is committed to the promotion of international cooperation and multilateralism. In this regard, Kenya pays special attention to and is involved in the processes that deliberate issues and take decision at the AU and UNECA. Kenya also champion a rule-based approach to decision making.
Role of the Mission
The Mission participates in all technical, Ambassadorial, Ministerial and Presidential activities of the AU and UNECA as follows;
Assembly of Heads of State and Government of the African Union
- Support the Ministry Headquarters and other Government departments in maintaining Country preparedness for all AU Summit Meetings.
- Support the competent departments to maintain preparedness for the AU Heads of State and Government Sub-committees, namely: The Committee of Ten Heads of State and Government on the Reforms of the United Nations Security Council; NEPAD Heads of State and Government Orientation Committee (HSGOC); Committee of Heads of State and Government on Climate Change (CAHOSCC).
Executive Council of the African Union
- Support the Ministry Headquarters and other Government departments in maintaining Country preparedness for all AU Executive Council Meetings.
- Support the Hon. Minister for Foreign Affairs in his service as a member of the Ministerial Sub-Committee on Post Conflict Reconstruction and Development (PCRD) in the Sudan.
- Support the Hon. Minister for Foreign Affairs in his service as a member of the Standing Sub-Committee on the Review of the Scale of Assessment.
Permanent Representatives Committee (AU- PRC) of the African Union
Participates in all Session, seminars, conferences or other meetings organized by the PRC and the other PRC Sub-Committees.
- Available to accompany the President and the Minister for Foreign Affairs of the Republic at all seminars, conferences or other meetings internationally where the subject under consideration touches on the core mandate of the AU.PRC Sub-Committees.
- Kenya chairs the PRC subcommittee on programmes and Conferences and participates in all the other 10 PRC Sub-Committees on; Administrative, Budgetary and Financial Matters; Structural Reforms, Refugees; Head Quarters and Host Agreements; include all the other subcommittees.
African Union Partnerships
Participates in all Experts, Ministerial and Summit level meetings and track Africa’s engagement with its Partners, namely;
- Africa – South America Partnership
- Africa – Turkey Partnership
- Africa – EU
- Africa – Arab Cooperation
- Africa – India
- Africa – China
- Africa – Japan